Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Smelly Socks

Little Mister is discovering his sense of smell. I absolutely love the faces he makes when he "smells" a flower! I decided to do some sensory play today and made some smelly socks. I used some things we already had in our kitchen: Cinnamon sticks, Garlic, Crushed Mint and Apple extract. You can also try things such as lemon, pickle juice, oregano, vanilla extract and actually, the list is limitless! Just have fun.

I used some socks that have become too small for his precious feet. I filled them with 4-5 cotton balls then added my liquid to another cotton ball or placed it in the sock. Then, I added a few more puffs into the sock and sewed it closed. I stored each sock in a separate baggie until play time. If adding solids, like spices, I just placed them between some cotton balls inside the socks.

Objective- Uses all available senses to explore the environment (MS Early Learning Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers; Scientific Development 3.3.4)


Explain that we smell things with our noses. Ask them what they smell. Can they describe what they smell? You might be surprised by their responses!


No comments:

Post a Comment